Friday, February 19, 2010

Too Fat To Fly?

I'm sure that you've all heard / read this story by now, but Southwest Airlines asked Kevin Smith (of Clerks, and many other of great movies) to leave since he didn't buy an extra seat on a recent flight.

I'm a much larger man than Kevin Smith and I don't fly unless I absolutely have to for many reasons. 

1. Comfort.  I want to be comfortable, and I want you to be comfortable.  Trust me - if I'm taking up some of your space, it bugs me far more than it's likely bugging you. 

2. Freedom.  I like to be able to get places when I like to arrive.  I'm not a big fan of trying to dash between connecting flights because the airlines left less than 30 minutes between the first aircraft landing and the second one leaving.

3. Sense of Safety.  I know what you're thinking, "you're more likely to die in a car crash..." and I absolutely agree with that statement.  However, with all the cuts that airlines have been making lately, they aren't buying new aircrafts, and they are cutting corners when it comes to passenger safety.  I feel safer on the ground, even though I might not be...

4. User Experience.  The last couple times I've taken a flight, I would have rather had teeth pulled due to the horrible customer service that I received.  Call it what you like, but I just don't have time or patience for incompetence and the staff that I interacted with was loaded to the hilt!  I like meeting people, I like talking to new and interesting folks and maybe learning a little bit more about places.

I guess these reasons are enough for me to keep loving road trips!

No comments: