Friday, March 25, 2005

NADONweb: FLiP Step One

As I've been reading many of the articles on the fusebox site, I find myself getting more and more excited about adopting the FLiP -side of doing things! The more I read about it, the more it makes sense.

The first step in FLiP is: Personas and Goals

After reading the description and finding out that this first step is to get you to create the typical users of your application, I've decided to do just that. These "users" are your make believe testers and will help you decide what your application will be used to accomplish. The goal of step one is to come up with these "users" and then come up with the goals that each would need to accomplish when using your software. It's easy to see how the application can be built much better by using this goal-oriented approach instead of basing the design on application features. The features will come later, but at this point, it seems most important for me to know who is going to come to NADONweb and what they'll need to accomplish when there. Designing the system this way will make things much easier in the long run and allow me to make sure that the true purpose of the site is met, for all visitors.

'Nuff about that. Here are the three personas I have created. I haven't gone into great detail yet about their exact stats or personalities, but I'm sure that will come as they grow and show me what they need from my site.

The IT Director -
John Myer - that's his name. He's been an IT Director for approximately 3 yrs, worked his way up through the ranks and is now looking for talent, that's of course, why he came to my site.

The Friend -
Phil DeLove - Phil loves to browse the site often and check for recent updates. He's downloaded everyone of my songs, read every article I've written and loves giving feedback and feeling involved.

The Browser -
Justin Browsing - you guessed it, he's the occasional browser that might link from Google, or happen to fumble across the site.

I'm going to start with these three personas and now I'll add goals for each. See you in a few.

No comments: